[ale] rdate problem

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat May 3 11:42:50 EDT 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Charles Shapiro wrote:

> D'oh!  Your rdate command is setting your clock to GMT, probly 'cause
> that's the local time of the server (.uk is Britain  IIRC). You could
> either find a server closer to home (I favor tick.gatech.edu), or if
> you're dead set on using that server you could  probably fiddle a script
> to apply your timezone to the date either with the TZ symbol or by
> wrangling it after it's set with date(1).

Actually, time servers (at least if set up correctly ;-) always serve out
time in GMT, regardless of the local time zone in which they are located,
and that's certainly true of ntp1.gatech.edu....  It's also true of
ntp1.csx.cam.ac.uk:

[kaboom at verdande kaboom]$ rdate -p ntp1.gatech.edu
rdate: [ntp1.gatech.edu]        Sat May  3 09:41:45 2003

[kaboom at verdande kaboom]$ rdate -p ntp1.csx.cam.ac.uk
rdate: [ntp1.csx.cam.ac.uk]     Sat May  3 09:41:51 2003

It's the client which takes that answer and applies its local time setting
to it. It's probably the time zone on Jim's system that's wrong.

later,
chris