[ale] JamStudio "budget" pen tablet: results

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 14:25:27 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I promised to tell the list of my experiments with the JamStudio
digitizer tablet, which can be had very cheaply (under $30
including shipping).

Results:

No luck with XFree86 4.2.0 / RH8.0.

Working under XFree86 4.3.0/RH9.0. Uses the "js_x" input driver.
Adding the following stanza to the XF86Config file does the
trick:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "JSTablet"
    Driver "js_x"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usb/hiddev0"
EndSection

I did get it working under RH8.0 by manually upgrading
XFree86 to 4.3.0, but that messed up something about
my Matrox card's OpenGL support.

The Jam tablet is basically a fun toy. I can draw in the Gimp, but
it's not as "pen-like" as I expected. It takes a bit more effort and
confers somewhat less control than I'd like. If you want to do real
work, you should invest in something better, I suspect, but I can't
tell you what since the Jam is my first tablet.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I'm Jesus. I'm here to serve you with our 7 Service Basics"
 -- on a receipt from WalGreens Pharmacy, El Paso, TX.