[ale] Debian Install Woes

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 31 11:47:09 EST 2003

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> You need to check the X error logs. If startx fails, there is a config
> problem and xdm wont run either.

Agreed, he needs to check the config files, but startx could fail
whereas xdm could start.  If the /etc/X11/XF86Config file is properly
configured, but the .xinitrc file is not, then startx could well fail,
whereas xdm could start since it uses different configuratio files.
Point is, /etc/X11/XF86Config is used by both xdm and startx, but there
are other files that are used by one or the other, but not both
(.xinitrc, .Xclients..)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...