[ale] firewalls... illegal? Cany anyone read legalese?

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Mon Mar 31 10:26:12 EST 2003

I can't see this going too far. This is in direct conflict with the
Homeland Security goals, which is trying to encourage users and
companies to secure they connections as much as possible to strengthen
the US's network infrastructure. If I remember correctly the FBI is
already cracking down on companies who have open Wifi networks. I am
sure that the FBI would not like it, if while they were locking up the
back door, greedy ISP's were trying to unlock the front door.

Just my opinion,

Denny

Geoffrey wrote:

> Jonathan Rickman wrote:
>
>> (ii) to conceal or to assist another to conceal from any communication
>> service provider, or from any lawful authority, the existence or place
>> of origin or destination of any communication
>

> I believe there must be intent to conceal. Also, as I nat a number of
> machines, my intent is not to conceal, but to reduce the cost of my
> service. If I purchased 10-20 real ips from my isp, my monthly cost
> would go up dramatically. Further, I'd suggest that as long as all
> communication from my home is transmitted through my isp's connection,
> I'm not breaking the law. Point being, the connection is considered to
> be from my home to the isp, not from each computer in my home to the
> internet. Now, my isp is aware of my nat, whereas, Bellsouth has a
> separate package for such efforts.
>

>> Over to Ed here, because he puts it so well:
>>
>> "Your ISP is a communication service provider, so anything that
>> concealed the origin or destination of any communication from your ISP
>> would be illegal -- with no exceptions.
>

> Gee, there goes all that ssl credit card purchasing....

 S/MIME Cryptographic Signature