[ale] firewalls, encryption & NAT to be illegal?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Mar 31 09:26:29 EST 2003

There have been numerous stories around slippery-slope processes that we
are witnessing (DMCA -> DMCA II -> Closed libraries, etc...). One of my
favorite was George Orwell's 1984. He got the concepts right, but missed
the time frame a bit.

My favorite story along these lines was "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray
Bradbury. That actually seems to be the route that has been chosen
directly by the DMCA goon squad.

A photographer friend was telling me the other day that courts are
becoming increasingly reluctant to use photographic evidence as it can
be manipulated so well with digital technology.

The proverbial "other shoe" falling sound will happen for me when the
Internet archive sites (way back machine and friends) get shut down for
"copyright violation". That will effectively begin the purge of sanity
checks on previously published digital media.

The next sound will be the flushing of Google caches.

How many books can I memorize?

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 08:43, hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> In addition to the general unease that most all of us here seem to share about
> this sort of legislation, I am starting to really have a problem with this
> spreading notion of "illegal information" such as the NAT-HOWTO if NAT were made
> illegal.
>
> I'm thinking about the DMCA-outlawed things like that guy's DVD descrambler -
> how he printed it on a t-shirt (thereby making illegal clothing) and wrote a
> haiku describing the procedure (illegal poetry).
>
> Is the whole point to inure society to the notion of illegal information - to
> expand what is considered non-protected speech?
>
> - Jeff

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part