[ale] kernels from kernel.org vs. distro's

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sun Mar 30 15:57:40 EST 2003

I am curious about kernel security alerts issued by by say Red Hat.
Like when you are using kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org and RedHat keeps
releasing new versions of kernel 2.4.18.  So my question is does the newer
kernel from kernel.org likely have the vulnerabilities that RedHat is
fixing on an older kernel?  It looks like other distro's do the same thing.
Just looking for enlightenment here.  I don't want to jeopardize security
while working with newer kernels.  Do I be checking changelogs at kernel.org
to verify if this same bug has been fixed in the later release?  What
procedure do most of you follow when trying new kernels in regards to
potential security risks.

TIA,

--
Jim Seymour