[ale] About Wireless Connectivity

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Sat Mar 29 20:56:53 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:27:58PM -0500, D. Alan Stewart wrote:
> Would you care to elaborate as to why?

Why what?

Why WEP is almost worthless?  Because it can be cracked in 12 hours or
so by anyone who has $100 and 12 hours to spend.

Why MAC filtering is worthless?  This already was answered on ALE.  It is
because it is trivial to spoof a MAC address.  Btw, for MAC filtering
purposes, MAC addresses are not encrypted.

Why SysAdmins don't turn on WEP?

  1. Procrastination.
  2. "My network won't be breached."
  3. Dunno know how and cannot be bothered to learn.

Bob