[ale] About Wireless Connectivity

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 29 06:40:36 EST 2003

I think security (implemented) depends on picking how secure(absolute) you
want versus convenience.  There is a reason the major banks, government
3-letter agencies (NSA, CIA, ok 4 letter - NASA) don't use wireless - it is
still unsecure.  I would rather have security and so have banned it in the
Canter household.  Of course, it is a luxury and a cost so that is a reason
also.

Classical argument: go easy or go secure. Windows 98 Vs OpenBSD/NSA
SecureLinux.  Pick one or try to go middle of the road.  I, of course, can
only speak for myself and have picked security(absolute) part of the
spectrum.  Just as I cannot use my laptop on the deck (no cable long enough
to go downstairs and out door) a wireless person cannot say they have a
secure network.  As far as crackers on wheels go - well, how about the ones
in the house/office next door ???  Certainly more convenient for long-term
cracking.

Greg Canter