[ale] Pine, sendmail, fetchmail problems help request continued

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 28 11:06:47 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 04:43:56AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> I was afraid of this.  Is is possible to remane a user rather than
> creating a new home and installing and setting up the programs
> there????  A little short on drive space and looking for the easy way
> out of this.  Any gothcha's I would need to look out for?

You should just be able to edit /etc/passwd and change your username
there.  As Geoffrey said, all ownership and permissions are controlled
by the UID, not the name, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Just to be
consistent, you might want to also change your home directory too (make
sure you rename your directory, AND change it in /etc/passwd).  If your
distribution created a private group for you (group Jim) you might as
well go ahead and change that too (/etc/passwd and /etc/group).

Good luck,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9