[ale] Pine, sendmail, fetchmail problems help request continued

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 27 16:22:13 EST 2003

It really looks like your MDA (not sendmail) has a problem with the
capital "J".  Most likely procmail is your MDA; you can verify this by
looking at your /etc/sendmail.cf file for the line that starts with
"Mlocal," (I think, it's been a while since I've hacked a sendmail.cf
directly).  The text immediately after the Mlocal, should point at your
MDA.

A quick google search suggests that procmail might not be able to
deliver mail to usernames with uppercase letters:

My advice: change your username to "jim".

HTH,
Jason

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 01:48:49PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	Still wrestling with pine, sendmail and fetchmail under my Red Hat 7.3
> box.  Hopefully I have enough info here someone can point me to the
> problem and a solution (hopefully simple).  I just created a new user
> "raven" to help narrow down the possible problems.
>
> root can sendmail to root
> root can send mail to raven
> root cannot send mail to Jim (yes the capital "J" is correct) - never
> 	delivered
> root can retrieve mail from isp and read under pine
> raven can send mail to raven
> raven can send mail to root
> raven cannot send mail to Jim - never delivered
> raven can retrieve mail from isp and can be read under pine
> Jim cannot send mail to root - goes to isp and is returned as
> 	undeliverable.
> Jim cannot send mail to Jim - goes to isp and is returned as
> 	undeliverable.
> Jim cannot send mail to raven - goes to isp
> Jim can retrieve mail from isp however it cannot be found to be read.
>
> All of these accounts are set up to use default /var/spool/mail/"user"
> for incoming mail.
>
> All of the above accounts can successfully send email out to isp under
> pine.
>
> TIA,
> --
> Jim Seymour