[ale] OT: Device to block calls w/o caller ID

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 27 10:34:27 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:30:02AM -0500, Mike Millson wrote:
> I looked into this, and *77 is what they call Anonymous Caller Rejection
> and will reject any call that is blocking their caller id. I'm guessing
> this should do the trick.

Unfortunately, this only blocks callers who block their caller ID (i.e.,
they show up as Anonymous).  It does not block Unavailable, or Out Of
Area calls, which is what most telemarketers will show up as.

> BellSouth also has a service called Privacy Director where unidentified
> calls are intercepted and callers identify themselves before your phone
> rings.

This will stop the unsolicited faxes, but it may also make it difficult
(or impossible) to receive some legitimate faxes.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9