[ale] Feedback on Wireless Standards

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Mar 27 09:38:18 EST 2003

I have the Linksys router and like using it. However, it seems to be
stuck in NAT mode.  I would prefer to setup real routing so it could be
a gateway between the ethernet and the 802.11b segments.  I do not know
if it can act as something other than a NET router.

I believe the card has 2 drawbacks.

1) low power
2) No real way to attach an external ant.

If you want to play and learn, the Linksys setup is a good buy.  When
you get serious about 802.11<?>, you'll want to look at Orinoco.

The Linksys suits my needs to browse and do other stuff.  The NAT
portion is causing me a few headaches.  I have a Linux firewall so this
device's WAN link is simply attached to my ethernet switch.