[ale] OT: Device to block calls w/o caller ID

Mike Millson mmillson at meritonlinesystems.com
Thu Mar 27 09:30:02 EST 2003

I looked into this, and *77 is what they call Anonymous Caller Rejection
and will reject any call that is blocking their caller id. I'm guessing
this should do the trick.

BellSouth also has a service called Privacy Director where unidentified
calls are intercepted and callers identify themselves before your phone
rings.

I found an interesting Slashdot article called "Fighting Telemarketers
w/ Technology":
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/10/09/125251.shtml?tid=111

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 16:29, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2003 03:32 pm, Mike Millson wrote:
> > Anyone know of a device I can plug into my phone line upstream of my fax
> > machine that will filter out calls that do not have a caller id? Those
> > seem to be the calls that when I print a fax report have no number
> > listed for identification. I have an HP fax machine that can block
> > individual numbers, but it apparently cannot block a fax that has no
> > number. You would think HP would have this feature. If I could find a
> > way to collect the $500 fine per unsolicited fax I could retire.
>
> Can you just ask your phone company to block callers without caller id?  I
> think that is a standard feature, nowadays.  It may cost a little more a
> month.
>
> Michael
Thank you,
Mike Millson
Web Systems Engineer
Sun Certified Programmer for Java2 Platform
Merit Online Systems, Inc.
770.414.8834
404.219.3177 cell
770.414.8206 fax