[ale] Employment Anyone?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Mar 27 08:43:45 EST 2003

Thus spake John Wells (jb at sourceillustrated.com):

> Agreed.  A weekly digest might have the desired effect, but I honestly
> have no problem with folks sending it directly to the list.  It's not like
> there has been an overwhelming amount of self-promotion/unemployment
> announcements.
>
> Rather than ale-unemployed, I think we need to have
> ale-for-people-bitching-about-lots-of-stuff-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-linux.
>    That, IMHO, would be much more effective at reducing list noise.

We have discussions that start on topic and go off topic.  Unless it's
really hot it dies down pretty quick, otherwise it may be off topic but
still of interest to some of us.

We have stuff that starts WAY off topic and goes farther.  Usually this
becomes a flame war where MOST of the traffic is people bitching about
how off topic it is with 1 or 2 emails mixed in to keep the flame going.

Then we have the occasional Job or Resume posting.  As far as I'm
concerned, this is our ALE Linux friends related.  If an ALE'er is out
of work but can program in C++ and a Windows C++ Job posting goes through
then Forward that baby on to the list.  Why you ask?
  First of all it may help one of our FRIENDS WHO USE OR WANT TO USE
    LINUX even if it's a 100% Windows job.
  Second if it's got absolutely NOTHING to do with Linux maybe the
    person who gets the job can bring Linux into it and we'll get a report
    in 6 months that XYZ company is now looking at replacing MS IIS
    servers with Linux and Apache because that C++ programmer convinced
    them to give it a try.

  Look at these as a chance to get some Pro-Linux advocacy (sp?) people
into non-linux places...  More importantly, consider it possible help to
an ALE'er in a tight spot.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert at ipv6.rdlg.net	http://ipv6.rdlg.net