[ale] Installing KDE

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 25 21:57:10 EST 2003

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 08:21 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I do not know what to say about KDE 3.1.1  I have not seen and immediate
> improvement.  I expected konqueror to behave a little better on previous
> IE only sites I visited with the older version, but it still renders.
> them almost unreadable.
>
> I compiled 3.1.1 on 2 machines.  One with 256m and the other with 512m
> of memory.  I was in a deadlock with swap on the 256m machine.  I used
> dd to quickly add 1GB of instant swap space for this.  One thing that
> compiling KDE proves is that compiling c++ programs require a full
> frontal attack with resources.  KDE is all C++.  The cc1plus compiler at
> one time was using 80% of the system memory.  Wow. cc1 never used that
> much memory.
>
> I can say that the icons look nice.  totally worth the trouble, not.

The improvements are mostly under the hood and paving the way for bigger
changes in KDE 3.1.2. Some of the Safari code (to be the native Mac OS X
browser) has been integrated into Konqueror, but it is only the beginning.
And Kmail is being turned into an enterprise-ready mail client. It now has a
much more sophisticated framework for handling encryption keys and
certificates. But you will only see this if you take an extra effort to add
on those features right now. And in the next release, Kmail should be almost
fully integrated with Korganizer and Kaddressbook. The whole project for
upgrading Kmail came at the request of the German government and is getting
some funding from that direction, if I remember correctly.

As for building apps in C++, I only have 128 megs of RAM on this machine. It
doesn't seem to be any worse than building a kernel on this box. I can still
do other things during a build like browse the Web or read news. Many people
won't have to build KDE apps anyway.