[ale] Two console users on one system--is it possible?

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue Mar 25 10:55:21 EST 2003

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> If I put two video cards in a system I know I can get two displays.   Iwant
> to support two users with those two display--so two monitors, two
> keyboards, two mice.  Can this be done?  Is there a HOWTO for this?

Ran across this today:

Subject: HOWTO for REAL dual-headed linux
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:17:59 CST
From: Jean-Daniel Pauget <jd at disjunkt.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

This document intend to describe how I managed to have a PC with:
  two different monitors plugged to ...
  two different graphic-cards matching ...
  two different keyboards and mice
       ... in order to run ...
  two instances of XFree86, each one having it's own login screen, and
  thus having :
  two different users working on the same one and only one PC box at a time.
http://disjunkt.com/dualhead/