[ale] Office Depot sells its soul to M$

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Mar 24 20:24:04 EST 2003

I'm with Rob and Bob on this one.  I just sent the following letter:

<I>
It has recently come to my attention that Office Depot has decided to
only carry "Microsoft Approved" software, effective May 2003.  This is
an apalling compromise that I didn't think an outstanding company like
Office Depot would have to stoop down to in order to pacify it's company
officers and board members.

If Office Depot seriously thinks that carrying only "Microsoft Approved"
software is going to help it's business _in any way_, you are sorely
mistaken.  I for one, have decided to adjust my company's purchasing
decisions to the direct detriment of Office Depot.  I have instructed my
systems' team to not make any purchases from Office Depot and it's child
companies; and further, I've instructed my personal Financial Consultant
to dump any mutual funds that have any vestment what-so-ever in Office
Depot (ODP).

Unless Office Depot seriously reconsiders it's decision to carry "only
Microsoft Approved" software, I will instruct him to indicate the reason
for my investment changes to the Fund Manager, and hopefully, the Fund
Manager will adjust the company distribution of the Fund, so I may
re-invest in it in the future.

I deftly recommend that Office Depot reconsider it's faulty proposed
software position; and furthermore, to make decisions in the best
interests of it's share-holders, it's consumers, and it's software
developers that provide it with products.  Selling out to a
strong-armed, failing monopoly, will do Office Depot a tremendous amount
of financial harm; and in an economy such as this, customer loyalty is
an area that should not be compromised.

Please make the right decision and reconsider this detrimental decision
to your company, so that I might continue to purchase goods from your
store(s) in the future (after you've elected to carry my software).

Regards,
Christopher M. Bergeron
</I>

Thanks for the email address Bob!