[ale] Near FAQ: OpenOffice-1.0 and StarOffice-6.0 comparison

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 24 15:53:12 EST 2003

Fulton, all -

Thanks for the note.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Fulton Green wrote:

> As I understand it, StarOffice adds several import filters and a spell
> checker.
>
> Actually, a few more things:
>
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0/faq.html#1q5

Actually quite a bit of useful information there, including that they
license _per_user_, regardless of how many boxen I install on: Linux, the
Win98 setup on the same box, and my Win98 laptop. Completely neutral file
exchange. Sane license terms. How rare.

Considering I paid $50.40 plus tax ($56.00 - 10%), I may break the seals
and put it to work. That's cheaper than the Borders/Amazon web site.

FIWI - I shopped last week at Borders and got the discount certificate at
checkout. It was valid for the subsequent week (i.e., now), to get me back
into the store. Worked, too.

FWIF-II - StarOffice is in their Linux section and comes up on their
inventory search looking like a paperback. A determined salesperson (and
SO-5.2 user) helped me find it. Product code seems to be: 6946835 SP if
anyone is interested.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu