[ale] Win98 + LILO

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Mar 21 07:49:46 EST 2003

You can not put windows into an extended partition.

Here is what I would do

1) Boot of toms root-boot and fdisk the drives.
   make /dev/hda2 type c.

3) Boot of win98 CD.
   run fdisk to make /dev/hda2 active

3) run "format c: /u/s" from the win98 directory
   on the cd-rom

4) create the directory windows\options\cabs on
   the newly created c: at /dev/hda2

5) copy D:\win98\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs

6) reboot and boot hard drive. You'll get to a c: prompt

7) cd \windows\options\cabs.  run setup.exe

8) Take a break while windows is installing.

Use toms root-at boot to get back to your previous linux partiton to
reinstall the boot loader.

If /dev/hda1 is linux do this:

# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
# cd /mnt
# chroot . bin/sh
# lilo
# exit
# cd ..
# umount /mnt
# reboot

Make sure you add a DOS label to lilo.conf before rebooting.