[ale] Sun Sued over H-1B's

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 19 16:07:42 EST 2003

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 01:31 pm, hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> I hve a problem with this comment on its face.
>
> First, any hiring manager or HR person who cited age or gender as a reason
> for not hiring someone would be beyond foolish, as it's my understanding
> that such statements would be actionable.  What you were were told is an
> *opinion* based on her own biases.

Such statements are actionable. That is why any HR person or manager who makes
a decision on the basis of sex and/or age would never let on that that was a
factor in the decision. They aren't stupid. They will just act on their
biases silently.

> There are *all kinds* of reasons that a given person, regardless of
> experience or ability, may have trouble getting (I refuse to say "cannot
> get") an IT job. Even if he/she is bloody brilliant and a quick study, IT
> job announcements are often so heavily stovepiped (i.e., 5+ years in COBOL
> development, Cisco router administration, and Informix on RS/6000 with a
> MCSE) that that person often won't even have his/her resume fully read.
> The reasons do not matter.  What does matter is that one must continue to
> look!

I think anyone in that position understands that they have to keep looking.
But if you think there is no such thing as age discrimination--particularly
in the IT industry--then you are living in a dream world.