[ale] making empty files

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 18 16:47:14 EST 2003

> On Tuesday 18 March 2003 04:38 pm, Jason Vinson wrote:
> > i am attempting to make files of various sizes to do transfer tests on
> > my network, and i know there is a command to make an empty file of a
> > specific size.  Can anyone give me a hint?
>
> I think "touch" will do that. See the man page.

I think the original question was poorly phrased. Try parsing "empty file of
a specific size" to see what I mean. I took this as "zero file of a
specific size".

The dd command will do what you need. By using a combo of blocksize and count
you can create a file of any size that you need. For example a 4MB (2^20 not
10^6) file of zeros can be created with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=4mb-zero-file bs=1024k count=4

the 1024k is (2^20)

Hope this helps,

BAJ