[ale] CUPS and filters with an HP DeskJet 920C

Allan Neal allanneal at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 17 23:52:44 EST 2003

I am having problems with my cups setup.  The printer prints beautifully
and perfectly if I send a Postscript file directly to the printer.
However, when some program (ie a2ps, enscript, muttprint, ...) create
the postscript on the fly and send it to the printer, it prints the
text of the postscript file instead of what it is suppose to print.

Eg:  It will print this literally
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
              %%BoundingBox: 38 24 574 768

and so on.  I generated a PPD file from linuxprinting.org for my printer
and the hpijs 1.3.1 print driver.  I downloaded, compiled and installed
hpijs 1.3.0.  I have the cupsomatic script and the foomatic-gswapper
installed.  I used the following command to set up the spool:
lpadmin -p DJ920C -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m HP-DeskJet_920C-hpijs.ppd
-o PaperSize=Letter
and I have gs 6.35-3 installed.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong here?

Allan
--