[ale] linux server requirements

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Mar 17 21:35:04 EST 2003

Stephen -

There's really no way anyone can cogently answer the question from the
information given.  If you're going to buy new equipment, there really
isn't anything you can buy that isn't going to be able to do a *lot* of
mail or Web serving, even if you scrimp and go for Celeron or Duron
chips.  As for disk space, that's a sysadmin's determination; you're
deciding how you're going to set up your RAID, so let that be your
guide.  Do you plan on letting the mail server retain all the messages
or not?  That's a big factor right there.

Web servers typically don't have a whole lot of content in their
document directories in terms of MB unless you're trying to serve up
large files (naturally).

I know from my own experimentation that a P/200MMX running Zope can
barely feel 40 simultaneous Web users pulling down static content over
and over again (keep in mind that that's Zope and static content; YMMV
if it's Apache and mod_PHP or mod_perl down the serving.