[ale] Gnome workspace and overlapping windows

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Mar 17 14:55:13 EST 2003

Yes, the stacking layer issue(s) with the metacity/RH8 is very
irritating. I really dislike when a dialog box pops up then vanishes
because my mouse cursor is isn't in it when it pops up. With sawfish, I
could set all pop-up dialog boxes to be on top and have focus. With
metacity, I can't a way to do this.

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 14:50, James Sumners wrote:
> :-/
>
> Just seems like some basic functionality that should be considered before going
> with the default to me. I realize that _I_ am the one making the choice on my
> machine, but Gnome has chosen metacity as the default window manager as a
> project.
>
> By the way, you can do the same thing by hold alt and right clicking on XMMS.
> But it must be done for both the player window and the playlist window. But it
> doesn't really matter because if you do put XMMS on all workspaces then there is
> still the stacking layer problem.
>
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:42:05 -0500 (EST)
> "John Wells" <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree that the xmms thing is irritating.  Don't know if it's an xmms or
> > a metacity or a gnome thing, but here's the way to get it to work:
> >
> > Go to options->preferences on xmms.  Click the "options" tab.  Check the
> > "Do not hide windowmanager decorations".
> >
> > This will put the default window bars around xmms.  Not pretty, but it
> > works.  Now get a window context menu (by clicking in the left corner of
> > the title bar under my current theme) and choose "Put on all work spaces".
> >
> > John
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part