[ale] Dial-Up ISP

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sun Mar 16 22:40:31 EST 2003

Time to start a "CheapAtlantaDialup" page on the Twiki? :)

In general, most any dialup ISP that uses the point-to-point protocol
(PPP) open standard will work with Linux.  Most providers don't
explicitly claim support for Linux boxes, but in most cases you won't
need explicit support.

My personal vote would be for Joi Internet ( www.SwitchToJoi.com ).  I
used them during my unemployment-induced DSL blackout last year.  They're
$10/mo. (even less if you prepay for several months).  They have at least
three Atlanta-area access numbers, and I never had a problem connecting to
at least one of them.  And I didn't encounter any problems when I
terminated my service earlier this year to go back to DSL.

Plus, they at least make an attempt to provide Linux setup instructions,
even if they're way outdated.  Any recent version of Linux will make
setting up Joi or any other PPP-based dialup account a cinch.

Their HQ is in Sandy Springs, but they have POPs in other parts of the
country (though I don't know how widesspread that is).

Whatever you do, don't get United Online (d/b/a Juno and NetZero).