[ale] OT: more info on where all the jobs are (going...)

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Mar 16 16:58:34 EST 2003

Well, I dunno.  I have found one company more unrelenting or at least as
unrelenting in their search for profits than MS - Wal Mart.  Instead of
working on increasing their prices to get profits, Wal-Mart cuts costs.
Their $199 PC's and adoption of Lindows is a smack in the face to MS and
Bill cannot do a dammed thing but send his minions to grovel in one of the
buyer's rooms in Arkansas (decorated a la police interrogation room w/ Sam's
visage looking down on the proceedings).  OpenOffice has that xml mindset
you are talking about and seems to be on the right track.  The only question
is if Sun can survive long enough to keep their office product around (corp
types like the fact that a big co. is behind their software with support)
and maybe give Sun's office and OpenOffice.org a chance to crack the MS
Office monopoly.

I would be willing to simplify something for the home market.  I know
OpenBSD guys that have used isof to make machines that already have a nice X
based GUI, an email client, and anything else ready made for clients and
family members.  xfce and OSPueblo have made strides in this arena too.  But
using proprietary standards and universal-like technologies like xml are the
key.  You are dead on in that idea. Apple was successful in getting
universal standards on Macs because all developers had to use their tool kit
and standards and they owned the hardware - much like Sun and Solaris (but I
would run OpenBSD on Sun stuff nowadays).  This avoided the "Tower of Babel"
programs that the pc suffered from in the early days, that is somewhat cured
by the MS Foundation Class Library in Windows stuff.

But yeah, seems like a project waiting to happen.  Lindows & OSPueblo is a
start.  See http://www.ospueblo.com/ .  But Lindows seems too proprietary.

Greg