[ale] renaming the group

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Mar 12 14:15:55 EST 2003

Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:48:06 -0800 (PST) Stephen Turner
> <artic_knight at yahoo.com> wrote the following:
>

>> if your gonna devide it up you should atleast keep the main group!
>>

> I don't think anybody is talking about discontinuing the main group.
> Basically, I think people are considering starting ALE chapters or
> something along this line. It seems to me the pupose of having
> chapters is not to dilute the main group, but to provide a easy way
> of differentiating between ALE, ALE-NE, ALE-S and whatever other
> ALE-**'s that arise. It's for organizational/informational puposes
> only.
>
> If we don't do something, it's gonna be babelyon. For instance: Is
> the meeting this thursday an ALE-N meeting or an ALE meeting or an
> ALE-S meeting...?... Plus, geographically dividing ALE makes it
> possible to have many presentations in one month as opposed to only
> one. It also increases the likelyhood that in each month, at one of
> the ALE meetings, there will be something (Presentation of something
> new...) for **everyone** in the Atlanta area. I live in Alpharetta.
> However, if ALE-S was presenting something I **really** was psyched
> about, I'd be there.

I must say, even though I'm the guilty party that started all this by
creating the ALE-NW meetings, I have concerns with the direction this
thing is taking.  My concern is that if ALE becomes too splintered, it
will wither and die.  I don't know what the answer is, but I would think
by keeping it as one organization with multiple meetings is a better
solution then creating multiple chapters of an organization.  What's
next separate web sites?  Lists?

We need to keep some cohesiveness here, although I don't know what the
answer is.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...