[ale] PowerSpec (microcenter) pcs?

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Mon Mar 10 18:07:34 EST 2003

For windows I would suggest the following hardening.

Get a P233 or even a 486 and set up a firewall. Smoothwall, IP Cop, or a
hardened Linux install.
Install something that tells you when/what is connecting to the Internet
like Zone Alarms.
Install a virus checker.  If it conflicts with Zone Alarms, get Norton,
which does not.
Update virus checker and Zone Alarms.
Get Adsubtract.  Saves bandwidth and destroys spyware. Free updates for the
life of the program.
Backup any data you don't want to lose.  And you will lose.
Consider dual booting (I do win98/win2k) you can always use one to fix the
other.
Win2k is better than win98 security wise.
On IE, or any browser, turn off Java, scripting, Javascript, and destroy
cookies or not accept them.

If you don't want to do these things/cannot do them, then be prepared to
accept the consequences.  That is life.

Greg