[ale] More WEP/VPN questions

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 10 09:55:14 EST 2003

"Michael D. Hirsch" <mhirsch at nubridges.com> writes:

> On Friday 07 March 2003 10:04 pm, Joe wrote:
> > I'm deep in the midst of getting my wireless VPN going. A question
> > that's occurred to me is:
> >
> > Should I leave WEP enabled or not?
> >
> > Pro: with WEP involved, there's one more thing for an attacker to
> > deal with. Sure, it's ineffective on its own, but it might dissuade
> > 20% of all attackers by its mere presence.
>
> Con: with WEP involved, there's one more thing for you to deal with.
>
> Not a very big con, but still a negative.

True. Making WEP work has been a medium-size pain in the butt
in a couple of cases.

Unfortunately, making IPsec work is turning into bigger pain :-(
FreeS/WAN talking to FreeS/WAN works great, but I'm having a lot
of trouble getting the WinXP L2TP/IPsec client to talk to
FreeS/WAN - it won't establish an SA, much less go on to
negotiate the L2TP connection.

Blah :-P

-- Joe Knapka