[ale] mosix clusters

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sat Mar 8 10:15:49 EST 2003

Stephen -

Mosix is just fine with disparate hardware; its load-balancing mechanism
keeps track of how busy each machine is and therefore compensates for
differences.  It stands to reason, though, that five 486es and one
AthlonXP 2400 is a little silly; the Athlon will be finishing processes
while the 486es are still doing the disk I/O to start them...

Even though you gain in a Mosix cluster by adding more machines and
progressively widening your memory and disk I/O pipes, the difference
between a Duron (especially a fully modern one) and a PII is quite
significant.

For a given pile of processes to complete on a Mosix cluster, the PII
and Duron machines will tend to finish at all about the same time, but
the Durons will have completed more of them.

- Jeff