[ale] Quasi-OT: One for the true hackers

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Mar 7 11:51:58 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Charles Shapiro wrote:

> Wow. So far I haven't hacked my 20 gb Archos MM Jukebox. But I'm too
> paranoid to go outside without full outside input from both ears, so it
> mostly stays on the shelf hooked up to the stereo.
>
> Talks just fine to a Debian 3.0 box running a 2.4.20 kernel -- plugged
> it in and it Just Worked.
>
> The link looks really interesting though. So far the worst part about
> the Archos is that it won't play ogg files.

There's a lot of discussion about Archos and ogg on that site. Apparently
hardware limitations prevent it from playing oggs.

The only player I know of which will do ogg is the Neuros. It doesn't
do them yet, but a firmware upgrade has been announced which will
support them. <http://neurosaudio.com/>. Of course, it's double the
price of the competition ;-)

later,
chris