[ale] Linux SuSe vs Windows 2000 Server

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 7 08:20:21 EST 2003

Greg,

I find your whole post quite appropriate and I thank you for providing,
probably the most balanced input available on this list.  But.... :)

I would suggest that one must consider the future and try and make a
difference.  By continuing to invest in the Microsoft monopoly machine,
we continue to reduce our own options.  We all must make the difficult
choice to change the future.  To make it better.  To that end, I'd
suggest that Linux is not only the best solution, but the only solution
when the options are Linux or a Microsoft solution.  Grant it, if you
have some hardware that is not supported by Linux, then you're pretty
well stuck.  But, we should all build on the future.  Until we create a
competitive environment in the world of computers, it won't happen.
Microsoft certainly isn't going to do it, and they are in control.

I never purchase any hardware anymore until I've done my research and
verified that it will work with Linux.  That's not possible if you've
already got the hardware in place as Laurie has indicated.  Still, I'd
suggest that the last resort is a Microsoft solution.  And only then, if
proper plans are made to migrate to a more open solution in the future.
  Your systems environment is only going to get better and your options
grow.  Something we don't have a lot of these days in a world with
Microsoft....

Laurie, take a long hard look at your decision.  Going with a Linux
solution may well be more difficult to start with, but in the long run,
you're going to be better off.  Going with a Microsoft solution is only
going to continue to restrict your options and future.  Move in the
direction of growth, not the restricted, costly solutions that are all
Microsoft.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...