[ale] OT: 802.11b antenna project

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 6 22:46:08 EST 2003

D. Alan Stewart wrote:
> I'm renovating my house and have rented an apartment across the street
> from it to live in for three months. Not wanting to lose my DSL Internet
> access, I purchased a Linksys wireless router and an Apple AirCard. I've
> got a G4 and an iBook. The signal, with the card installed in the iBook,
> is weak on the outside of the building, but from inside the apartment
> it's not detectable. I need to rig a cheap directional antenna at either
> or both ends to make this work.
>
> I have seen all the stuff on the Internet about making cheap directional
> antennas with a tin can and other pieces. But I'm a  software developer,
> not a hardware geek! I don't know which end of the soldering iron to
> hold. Would someone like to have some fun and also make a few bucks by
> putting something together that works for me? This is only for three
> months, so cheap is the watchword. The house is in Grant Park, near
> downtown Atlanta.

Look in the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) Antenna Handbook (or any
other place) for directions on how to make a "rhombic" antenna.  They
are high-gain and directional.  At ordinary "high frequency" (3-30 MHz)
they are too large to be practical.  Guessing that the wireless net is
in the GHz range, the size should be practical.  A "rhombic" is a
diamond-shaped antenna and can be made relatively simply.