[ale] XF86Config Screens section & Virtual dimensions

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Mar 6 12:23:34 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:37 am, David S. Jackson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using XFree 4.2 with a Viewsonic 15G and a GeForce2 MX 400 and
> nvidia drivers.  All works well, except the virtual screen size is too
> large for anything smaller than 1280x1024: it stays at 1280x1024, and I
> want it to shrink to 1024x768 if I choose that mode, or 800x600 if I
> choose that mode, and so on.  I think the Virtual command is what I want
> here, but I'm not sure how to set it up.  Here's how it looks now:
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> DefaultDepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> The XF86Config manpage says I can put a 'Virtual xdim ydim' right after
> Modes.  But how would I format it so the virtual screen doesn't exceed
> the size of the viewport?

I don't think you can make it smaller than the largest mode.  Since you can
mode switch on the fly the server needs to account for the largest mode at
all times.

You could setup separate display sections for each resolution, but you'll
have to start a fresh X server each time you want a different resolution.

Michael