[ale] semi OT: ideas about building a PVR/XPC

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 14:18:13 EST 2003

"F. Grant Robertson" <f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com> writes:

> Storing Mp3's as blobs is an interesting way to do it, and I've done
> that for images and flash files in some projects before. The main
> problem with doing that for mp3's (from a scripting point of
> view.. could be a completely different animal if you actually linked
> libs to play the mp3's) is, how do you feed it to the player?  The
> simplest would be writing the blob out to a file in /tmp, playing it
> and then deleting it but, this seems a little intense to me..
> <brainstorming> can you feed an mp3 to mpg123 with a pipe?

Sure. You can feed anything to anything via a pipe: the beauty of
Un*x :-) (Provided, of course, all the things you're trying to
plumb together produce output to standard output and accept
input on standard input.)

You should be able to do something like:

mysql < [some script that barfs out the desired MP3 datastream] | mpg123

I suspect, however, that pulling a file straight off the disk (as
opposed to going through mysqld) would be best for streaming reads
like this.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka