[ale] Default route problem?

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 12:46:49 EST 2003

Hi all,
	I've recently set up redhat 8.0 on a laptop.  Everything is working
fine.  All drivers for all devices.  My question is in regards to
automatically changing the default route for the network.  There is a
network card setup for dhcp, it works fine.  Problem is that sometimes I
need to dial up to an isp to access services that are not available on the
lan.  Dialing up works fine, I get connected but I can't get any traffic to
flow through it.  If I disconnect the lan cable I cannot access the
internet at all.  The only way I've found to make it work is to stop the
network {/etc/init.d/network stop} before dialing out using kppp.  I've
gone as far as setting up kppp to stop and start the network when I'm using
it.  That feels more like a kludge than a fix, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Calvin