[ale] OT: Windows NIC problem...

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Mar 4 18:39:02 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:32, David S. Jackson wrote:

> Thanks, all, for the good ideas!  I forgot to mention that I had
> validated the cable and also pinged the local (non loopback) interface.

You can ping local all day but that just verifies the TCP/IP plumbing in
the kernel is operational.

One thing I do is ping the broadcast address of the network.  I then
expect to see hosts other than me respond back.  If that works then your
network seems to be function correctly.

I have had issues with the cheap 5 port 10/100 Switches at MicroCenter.
The switches can go stupid and not work correctly.  Usually I fix this
by recycling power on the switch.  but that is the price you pay for
cheap crap.