[ale] OT: Windows NIC problem...

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Mar 4 18:32:33 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:10:47PM -0500 Jason Day <jasonday at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:59:25PM -0500, David S. Jackson wrote:
> [snip]
> > I know this is a difficult-to-answer generic question, but aside from me
> > having a bad NIC, I wonder what else I can test?  (The hub works fine;
> > I've moved the connection around to different "good" ports on the hub
> > with the same result.)
>
> Try a different network cable.
>
> On the windows box, open a command prompt and type:
>    ping 127.0.0.1
>    ping <ip address>
> If both of those commands work (no request timed out messages), then
> your NIC driver is probably working correctly.  You could still have a
> bad NIC though.

Thanks, all, for the good ideas!  I forgot to mention that I had
validated the cable and also pinged the local (non loopback) interface.
But if the physical layer isn't there, then it's probably got to be the
NIC.  I needed an excuse to get some more PCI NICs around the office
anyway.  :-)  Like (Joe?) says, no blinkie, no talkie.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net