[ale] semi OT: ideas about building a PVR/XPC

lance crocker jnlc at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 4 16:06:26 EST 2003

Hey all,

I am planning on building a PVR ( Personal video recorder - like Tivo ), an
XPC ( Multimedia entertainment PC that will hockup to my TV and home
theater ), or some sort of combination.

I have thought of two basic choices for this attempt.

1. Buy an Xbox, hack it and install Xbox linux on it ( roughly around $300 )

or

2. Build an XPC using current high end PC hardware  ( roughly around $1700 )

The Xbox idea is cheap but not very upgradable. The XPC idea is more
expensive but also more upgradable and mroe useful.

Have any of you guys ever built anything like this? Have any suggestions
like recommeneded hadrware? software? OS? stuff like that?

I would really appreciate some input as I have just started seriously
thinking about this.

Thanks in advance,

Lance