[ale] OT: Windows NIC problem...

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Mar 4 13:59:25 EST 2003

I haven't done much Windows in several years now, so I'm pretty rusty.
But when I try and tell a NIC under WinME its static IP using the TCP/IP
properties under Network Managagement, the card appears to be using the
right address under Windows (and a reboot), but it still can't seem to
talk properly on the hub/switch.  There's no green light on that
connection for the hub.  The Windows machine isn't pingable.  But when I
do a Windows netstat -r, the routing table looks right (for windows) I
think.  But no talkie.  Shouldn't Windows ME just give it the right info
when I've set it up on the same private network as the hub?  Is there
anything else to do besides change the TCP/IP properties under network
management and reboot?  (I've turned off WINS and setup the gateway and
dns servers correctly, I think.)

Seems like that's all I've ever had to do in the past. (The machine in
question is not available to me right now, or I would tell you the exact
output from netstat -r under WinME and whatever other helpful info I
could think of.

I know this is a difficult-to-answer generic question, but aside from me
having a bad NIC, I wonder what else I can test?  (The hub works fine;
I've moved the connection around to different "good" ports on the hub
with the same result.)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net