[ale] RECOVER GRUB BOOTLOADER

Christopher Russell tiger_007 at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 3 08:16:08 EST 2003

Problem: LOST BOOTLOADER RH8.0
I installed XP and lost the GRUB bootloader. How, please do I get it
back?

Background:
Machine originally partitioned; C: WIN98SE, D: FAT32 space, and the
remainder of the drive is dedicated to RH8.0 with its own partitions.
What I did:
I installed WIN XP Pro on the D: FAT32 partition. But now on boot a get
offered WIN XP, WIN 98, but no offering for RH! Both WINs will boot
nicely and run fine.
What I've done so far:
I have a RH boot disk made last October, which boots me into kernel
2.14-18.4. The machine runs fine in this older kernel. Internet
connection, everything. But my machine does have the latest kernel,
2.14.18-24.8
Question;
How can I recover the bootloader so that I am offered RH latest kernel
on boot? I do see the opportunity to over-ride deafult parameters when
using the floppy, but got no idea how to do it, and I don't see a
solution in RH 8.0 Bible by Negus.
Thanks in advance,
Chris