[ale] [OT] Toshiba Satellite 2505 RAM

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 23 23:59:11 EST 2003

Hi, folks.

Thanks again to the guys who pointed me at the Compaq tech-support
site a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to install new RAM
in my Armada laptop.

I have a similar problem today, with a Toshiba Satellite 2505 that I'm
trying to upgrade for a friend. I can physically install the RAM,
but the machine won't recognize it. I've tried two different SODIMMs,
both known to work in another machine. Neither Win98 nor Linux (Toms)
recognize the additional RAM; booting Linux with "mem=<real amount>"
results in a kernel panic early in boot, so I'm guessing there's a DIP
switch or something somewhere that I need to flip to tell it to use
the new RAM. But Toshiba has not been considerate enough to make the
service manual for this beastie available via WWW.

So, has anyone done a RAM upgrade on one of these things?

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka