[ale] Help needed with pine, fetchmail, sendmail - please

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 21 23:37:58 EST 2003

>It is presently set to /var/spool/mail/Jim.

inbox-path=inbox is mine.  In the past I've had it set to
inbox-path=~/mbox  Are you looking in the actual .pinerc file,
or the Pine config menus? .pinerc has some very useful comments that
explain what the options in the Pine config menus actually do.

Question - is Jim with a capital J your login name? Is it possible that
the mail is trying to go to /var/spool/mail/jim with a lowercase j?
Your errors from fetchmail show that user bluejay is downloading mail.
Does Pine know that Jim and bluejay are the same person?  My login name
and my email address are different, so I had to use a Role and
alt-addresses. Here is how to use Roles in Pine:
    http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/
There maybe other ways to do it, but using Roles and alt-addresses is
what worked for me.

Here is the site I use to answer a lot of my pine questions:
   http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/

As for the fetchmail error - does fetchmail have your correct username
and passwd? With mindspring, my "username" is different than my email
address, and fetchmail doesn't seem to work without both. The fetchmail
site has moved to http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/   Lots of good
stuff there.  If you run fetchmail -v, what are the error messages? What
do the log files say?

Just making a guess, without seeing your .fetchmailrc and .pinerc, I'd
say that who you think you are, and who the system thinks you are, are
not the same people. Just a guess.

...alan

  --
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulder blades will
seriously cramp his style.