[ale] SuSE 8.2, OpenOffice, JRE1.x - slightly OT

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 11:35:39 EDT 2003

This seems to work, if you are doing a network install of SuSE:

1) During the initial install, tell it not to install OpenOffice.

2) Download the 1.4.1 JRE or JDK from <URL: http://java.sun.com>;
be sure to download the "Linux RPM in self-extracting file".

3) Start a shell, go to the directory where you downloaded the
JDK self-extractor, and execute it in order to extract the
RPM within. (You'll probably need to "chmod u+x j2sdk*.bin")

4) Start YaST2. Select "Change source of installation". Click
"Add->Local directory" and add the directory containing the
Java RPM. Click "Close".

5) Click "Install and Remove Software". Track down "j2sdk"
in the package list and tell it to install it. Click "Accept".
Java is installed.

now be able to install OpenOffice without complaint.

OO seems to work, but I haven't come close to exercising all
its functionality, so YYMV.

Cheers,

-- Joe

"Zyman, Andy" <zymana at hra.nyc.gov> writes:

> thank you Drew/

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me