[ale] Fun with BellSouth, AOL and SMTP

Michael Still michaelstill at tmail.com
Sun Jun 29 16:36:48 EDT 2003

What relay are you using specifically? I can reproduce the problem when
I use mx01.mail.bellsouth.net, but not when I use mail.bellsouth.net.
Those are different systems for different purposes.  Usually for big
internet companies the MX for mail outside its network will not be the
same machine as the relay for the internal users.  This is the case
with
Bellsouth.

I don't have any aol people to try to send to so I might be off base
here, but here's what I've done:

[user at localhost ~]$ telnet mx01.mail.bellsouth.net 25
Trying 205.152.59.33...
Connected to mx01.mail.bellsouth.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.bellsouth.net ESMTP server (InterMail vM.5.01.05.27
201-253-122-126-127-20021220) ready Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:05:05 -0400
helo
250 imf11aec.bellsouth.net
mail from: michaelstill at tmail.om
250 Sender <michaelstill at tmail.om> Ok
rcpt to: michaelstill at tmail.com
550 .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to
tmail.com Solution: Connect using BellSouth Internet Service.
Connection closed by foreign host.

[user at localhost ~]$ telnet mail.bellsouth.net 25
Trying 205.152.59.17...
Connected to mail.bellsouth.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.bellsouth.net ESMTP server (InterMail vM.5.01.05.27
201-253-122-126-127-20021220) ready Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:31:48 -0400
helo
250 imf18aec.bellsouth.net
mail from: michaelstill at tmail.com
250 Sender <michaelstill at tmail.com> Ok
rcpt to: michaelstill at tmail.com
250 Recipient <michaelstill at tmail.com> Ok
data
354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>