[ale] Old Laptop

Matthew Macumber mmacumber at atlantaastronomy.org
Fri Jun 27 02:20:07 EDT 2003

On June 27, 2003 12:56 am, Robert Coggins wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> I was just wondering...
>
> I have an old 90Mhz   yes that is Niner Zero laptop that I would like to
> put linux on.. I tried my  latest CD of RH 8.0 but of course no go
> because of memory.  It has 16 M RAM  any suggestions on distro and
> version?  Thank!

The most recent version of Slackware (9.0) seems to have pretty low minimal
requirements

Processor		386
RAM			16 MB
Disk Space	500MB
Floppy Drive	1.44 MB

Debian claims to work as low as 12MB Ram and 110MB of hard disk space.

You could also look into some of the smaller, less popular distros.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Tiny/

-matt