[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Jun 27 14:38:34 EDT 2003

Whoa! Slow it down for the GUI monster (me). I am guessing that I must start
apache first. I don't think my web server is running at all. If apache is not
needed, I am having trouble getting this to run.

Oh snap. You said make sure it is running first.
Geoffrey, do you know how to get stuff running in the GUI - I have not found
that module since 8.1 (I think I remember being able to edit "running
services" in 8.1). I don't want to do it at the command line because Suse has
a weird/different directory tree that I always get lost in when it comes to
the .d directories.

Drew

> make sure the webmin service is started and then
> you use your preferred web browser  to access it,  simply
> type in either http:\\localhost:10000 or use youur fully qualified
> machine name or
> ip address instead of localhost if you want.
> example being http:\\bob.linuxuser.com:10000 or http:\\192.168.0.2, etc.
> then log in using your root account and password.
>

> you can also use the second method to access this system over your network
> providing that your hosts file on the remote system has an entry for the
> system
> that you are trying to access.
>
> it's pretty neat to be able to use webmin to configure your linux box
> from a windoze based system.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com