[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 27 12:28:10 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:23:26AM -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I disagree Geoffrey.
>
> Jason believes that it is easier to (get root) then type apt-get update?
>

> I have used apt-get. It *is* nice, but I don't think Jason is comprehending
> how much easier Yast2 is - or he is being sarcastic.

Yes, I was joking.  But, "easier" is subjective.

> Try this: Most things in Suse can be configured using only the mouse.

You say this a lot, but it doesn't mean anything to me.  My response is
"Everything in Debian (or RedHat or Gentoo or Slackware or probably even
Suse) can be configured by editing config files, without ever having to
use a GUI."

Clearly, being able to configure everything through a GUI is important
to you, but it's not to me.  I've always been a command-line junkie, and
I suspect I probably always will.

On the other hand, I would not ordinarily recommend Debian to a linux
newbie.  I understand that most people are probably not like me, and are
more comfortable using a GUI for day-to-day or administrative tasks.
But I couldn't resist a little joke.  In my defense, I *did* qualify it
with a smiley.  :)

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9