[ale] Old Laptop

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 27 10:27:11 EDT 2003

John Mills wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On 27 Jun 2003, Robert Coggins wrote:
>

>>I have an old 90Mhz   yes that is Niner Zero laptop that I would like to
>>put linux on.. I tried my  latest CD of RH 8.0 but of course no go
>>because of memory.  It has 16 M RAM  any suggestions on distro and
>>version?  Thank!
>

> I put [updated] RH-6.2 and fvwm2 into a similar system and it ran, but
> then I managed to scarf 32MBy more cheap RAM on eBay and it is _much_ more
> satisfactory.

Even if you can just borrow memory for the install, you can successfully
install various dists on a box then remove the memory.  Problem is, it's
often difficult to find older memory that fits, particularily on a laptop.

I recently did a full gui install of SuSE 8.1 on a p166. During install
it had 64mb, now it's running with 32mb just fine.  It did have 16mb,
but bogged down pretty bad when I fired up X, so I dropped the extra
16mb in there to speed up the boot process.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...