Complete setup instructions!!! Re: [ale] Day of Defeat on Linux

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Fri Jun 27 09:37:01 EDT 2003

Ok, first of all the DoD package you downloaded is just a mod of half-life
so you still need the dedicated server to launch what you already have. So
you need to download the following file:

hlds_l_3110_full.bin

Google will find it easily.

The file will download with the wrong attributes so you need to chmod it to
make it executable, just go ahead and chmod 777 the file and be done with
it. Once you have this completed then exec the file ./hlds_l_3110_full.bin,
this will create a tarball that must then be decompressed, I suggest you do
this in /usr/local/ but this is your choice.
Once you have the files extracted you will have an hlds_l directory. Now
copy the DoD tarball into that folder and then extract it or just copy -R
your existing folder into the new hlds_l directory. (/usr/local/hlds_l/dod)
Now you need to edit the server.cfg file located in your DoD folder and set
your hostname for the server and modify any cvars you wish to change. Once
you have this complete you can launch your server to test it. To do this
change to your /usr/local and type in the following command string:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local:$LD_PATH
(of course any difference in your directory structure must be changed and
this is to the directory BEFORE you reach the hlds_l directory))

Now you should be able to launce your server with the following:

./hlds_run -game dod +ip x.x.x.x +maxplayers yy +map any_map

x.x.x.x should be the IP address of your system IP and can sometimes be
omitted and yy is the max numbers of players you wish to have on your
server. Maps will be in the /maps directory under dod and any custom maps
will be placed here also.

Once the server is running you should see 3 WON server IP addresses at the
bottom of the console where the server was launched. Once you see these you
can type "status" in your console and get information about your server.
When you get to this point you can then automate the launch of the
Half-Life dedicated server. I add mine to the rc.local, but you can also do
it via cron job.

Just create a text file and insert the two lines you entered above into the
file, name it dod_start or similiar. once you have that entered save the
file and make it executable with chmod. Now you can add it to rc.local or a
cron job if you want it to start every day at 5:00pm. If the server is
going to see a lot of use then I suggest a cron job to reboot the server
every 48 hours or so and have the hlds start on boot. Another note, if you
do not want the output from hlds to appear on the console then pipe the
output to /dev/null. So in your rc.local the line to launch your DoD server
would look like this:

###Start DoD server
/usr/local/hlds_l/dod_start  >/dev/null &

There are numerous other commands that can change the behaviour of the
server but for the most part this is all you need. If you ever use the
server at a LAN then you would need to make some changes to avoid WON
authentication etc but this should get you up and running. If you need a
more detailed explanation I have one in the forums on my website in the
forums. You have to create an account but it is all free and gives even
more detail than here even though it is for a Counter-Strike server, all
the same rules apply. Just go to www.patrioticgamerz.com and once in forums
do a search for "linux configs" and it will locate the thread for you. Let
me know how it turns out and e-mail me with any questions.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                      "George Johnson"
                      <gljay at earthlink.        To:       "ale" <ale at ale.org>
                      net>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [ale] Day of Defeat on Linux
                      ale-admin at ale.org

                      06/25/2003 06:36
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ale

I just downloaded the server tarball and opened it up.  I found no
instructions on how to install it.  Checked the site and found nothing so
far.  Has anyone done this or does anyone know where I can find install
instructions?

George Johnson